Cinco De Mayo Loop
With the purchase of a $5 admission wristband, you will have access to all 10 clubs on the Cinco De Mayo Loop on May 4th in Wilmington. There will be festivities and drink specials at every participating club. And your wristband entitles you to a discount on your first Lyft ride of the day. Have fun!
Do I need to wear a costume?
No, but you will feel much more a part of the party if you do. We recommend avoiding any costume that may be offensive to any cultures. Wearing red or green is always a safe choice!
Where do I start the Loop?
There is no official starting point. Select the nightspot you’d like to visit first, pay the cover charge, and you will receive a wristband that gains you admission to all other Loop venues without paying another cover.
What does my wristband entitle me to?
Admission to any Loop venue without paying another cover charge and a special Loop-only discount on Lyft ride-share services.
What is the best way to travel between venues?
In Trolley Square you have 4 venues within easy walking distance. On Market Street, you have two venues within walking distance. Lyft is our preferred Loop ride-share partner and will have plenty of drivers on site for Loop nights. A special discount code will be printed on your Loop wristband, entitling each participant a one-time Lyft discount. JUST DOWNLOAD THE LYFT APP AND SHARE A RIDE WITH YOUR FRIENDS.
How to use Lyft:
- Get the App: Download the Lyft app for iPhone or Android. Already have the Lyft app? Go straight to step 3!
- Create Your Account: Set up a Lyft account. You’ll need to add a credit card, in case your Lyft rides go beyond the event. Any additional tips will be charged to your credit card as well.
- Submit your info: Add the promo code you on your Loop wristband to the “Payment” or “Promo” section of the Lyft app before you request your ride. You must be in “Personal” mode for the code to apply.
Where do you purchase your wristband?
At the first venue you visit. There are no advance sales of Loop wristbands. Wristband sales begin at 3 pm the evening of the Loop.
When did the Loop series start?
The first City Loop was the Friday after Thanksgiving in 1979. The Halloween Loops began the following year, in 1980.
Cinco de Mayo
Is Cinco De Mayo a celebration of Mexican independence?
Cinco de Mayo is not a celebration of Mexico’s Independence (which is actually September 16th), but rather a celebration of Mexico’s victory in the battle at Puebla on May 5th, 1862 during the Franco-Mexican war. It was an unlikely win for the Mexican militia who were heavily outnumbered by the French. The victory became a source of pride for the country and is the reason we continue to celebrate today.
Did the U.S. play a part in the battle or war?
Abraham Lincoln sympathized with the Mexican cause during the French occupation but was unable to lend direct support to the nation due to the U.S. Civil War, which was taking place at the same time. When the Civil War finally ended, the U.S. forced France to withdraw its troops from Mexico and their empire collapsed.
Is Cinco De Mayo a federal holiday in Mexico?
Cinco de Mayo is not a federal holiday in Mexico and is a relatively minor holiday outside of Puebla, Veracruz and the United States. In Puebla and Veracruz, however, Cinco de Mayo is a very important state holiday celebrated with parades, festivals and reenactments.
Why is Cinco de Mayo so popular in the U.S.?
Cinco de Mayo became a popular holiday in the U.S. after President Franklin Roosevelt enacted the “Good Neighbor Policy” in 1933 to improve relations with Latin American countries.
vAre there any Cinco De Mayo traditions?
One U.S. city celebrates Cinco de Mayo with a Chihuahua race. Can you guess which city? It’s Chandler, Arizona. Even Vancouver celebrates, marking the day with a “skydiving boogie” that consists of aerial acrobatics and an air show.
How much Tequila is consumed on Cinco De Mayo?
According to the Daily Meal, the United States consumes twice as much Tequila as Mexico, where the spirit originated.
Tips & Advice
- Riverfront – acres of free parking. That is where the Loop buses meet to begin their routes.
- Downtown – 8th & Orange surface lot is free on weekends. Shananigans has a parking lot directly across the street (2nd & Market).
- Trolley Square – parking is very challenging as the area is surrounded by residential. DO NOT park in the Trolley Square Shopping Center nor plan on parking in the Acme parking lot. Several Trolley nightspots (Kid Shelleen’s, Grotto Pizza) have their own parking but it is limited…so get there early.
- Union Street area – street parking is your best option. Do not plan on parking in any of the establishments lots…most are very limited.
- Easiest options: Riverfront lot then walk to either Timothy’s or Firestone and catch the bus.
- Downtown: 8th & Orange lot.
Last Call Lots: Riverfront Commuter Lot (Justison St., across from Iron Hill Brewery & Restaurant) and Wilm. Parking Authority Surface Lot (Downtown, 8th& Orange streets). These lots will offer free parking and the ability for you to leave your vehicle overnight and pick up the next day bynoon. This is a complimentary service and you will not receive a parking ticket or be towed. DO NOT DRINK & DRIVE!
Keys to a Successful Loop:
Wear a comfortable costume. Make sure you can see where you are walking and use the rest room with ease. Also, make sure the costume doesn’t cause you to become overheated (venues get very crowded on the Loop). Use Lyft to get around, designate a sober driver, or plan to stay in the city for the evening at a friend’s place or one of the city’s five hotels.
Don’t drink and drive! Use your special code and call Lyft to get you home.