Our recommendation from an area pro
From Justin Muzzi, bartender at Home Grown Cafe
The Barn Owl
• 2 oz. Bombay Sapphire gin
• 1 oz. simple syrup
• 1/2 oz. lemon juice
• 1/2 oz. lime juice
• 1 oz. soy milk
• 1 oz. Aquafaba (chickpea water)
• 5 drops orange blossom water
• 2 drops vanillla extract
• splash of club soda
1. Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker.
2. Dry shake (without ice) for 30 seconds.
3. Shake with ice for at least one minute.
4. Strain into a Collins glass with no ice.
5. Top with a splash of club soda.
6. Garnish with Graham Cracker sprinkled on foam.
With this cocktail, I wanted to create something creamy and frothy for winter that vegans could enjoy. The Barn Owl is a variation of a gin fizz, which uses heavy cream and egg whites (along with quite a bit of shaking) to achieve its frothiness. This effect is achieved with soy milk and Aquafaba, which is the water that canned chickpeas are packaged in, and happens to be of a consistency similar to egg whites. It is typically used in creating vegan baked goods. I have also added lime and vanilla extract to give this cocktail just a slight dessert flavor that goes well with the winter season.